Have you ever wondered what music in other languages sounds like? Have you ever been stumped by how to Google search in a language you don’t speak or look up something in an alphabet you don’t know?
When I lived in China, I heard songs everywhere–out in public, on car radios, during fountain water shows, and at my host family’s home. The lyrics were completely inaccessible, and yet touched something deep within my soul: I quickly fell in love with the music. I desperately wanted to use the internet to find these songs, but not knowing more than a handful of Chinese characters, I had no idea where to begin. One day, I stumbled onto the name of a Taiwanese pop singer, Leehom Wang–whose songs I recognized–and the YT search algorithm did the rest.
Over the years, I’ve learned plenty of hacks to search in languages I don’t speak, but as it was a long process and steep learning curve, I thought I would save you the trouble and compile some of my research here. You might not love my song choices (primarily pop genre), but the suggestions on the sidebar will be in your target language, which is a great head start, particularly when you are dealing with foreign alphabets. If you speak another language and have any favorite songs to share, feel free to comment below. Enjoy!
- MANDARIN CHINESE
- HAUSER and Señorita – Vivo per lei, Italian
- EUSKARA, CATALAN, & GALICIAN
- Renata Flores Rivera, Quechua
- EVEN MORE!
- Šeduikytė- Nebijok, Jurga, Lithuanian
- Tu to Na Aai, Hindi
- Kesäyö, Laura Sippola, Finnish
- A Nossa Vez, Calema, Portuguese
- Miremengjes, Alban Skenderaj, Albanian
- Langt igjen å gå (ft. Lex Press), Innertier, Norwegian
- คนตอบบ่อยู่ – เอิ้นขวัญ วรัญญา, Thai
- Paskong Pinoy (Christmas), Tagalog
- Hala Al Turk, Arabic
- ENGLISH- COVERS
- Despacito in…
- Taylor Swift song in…
- Backstreet Boys in…
- Michael Jackson songs
- Wonderwall in…