Welcome to The Spanish Cave, a place where work and play merge together to create joyful, meaningful–and therefore valuable–learning.
¡Hola a todos! I am “Señorita M.”, a Spanish teacher who is passionate about writing, languages, online privacy, and minimalism. This website is a collection of linguistic (primarily Spanish) and cultural resources and a documentation of my teaching journey. Thanks so much for visiting!
THE CAVE: Twelve years ago, at the beginning of my teaching career, my boss walked me to my new room and explained my job quite succinctly: “Teach Spanish”. There was no curriculum, no book, nothing to follow–I was on my own. While some would be overwhelmed by such a task, I was excited to begin with a blank canvas. The idea of a Spanish Cave came several years later, when I was moved to a tiny classroom and we started calling it La cueva/The Cave. Have fun exploring the virtual version of this cave!
Images of Spain, Mexico, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Peru, Chile, Dominican Republic, and Nicaragua.
Table of Contents
- Continued Learning: assignments for students when there are not physical classes at school– see dropdown menu by grade level
- The Blog: all blog posts; note that the date is the same for many posts because I had to transfer all of them recently, and there were *technical difficulties*
- Projects: project ideas- frequently updated
- Other Posts: my own personal rambling on language, along with formal letters to optional, language-related activities for the summer and other vacations
- Museum: digital collection of students’ Spanish art/science/history museum exhibits
- FAQ Page: frequently asked questions and answers about language
- All 21 Countries: culture-related links, organized by country
- Movies & Cartoons: Disney trailers, authentic films, Pocoyo links, cartoons in the target language, and a few documentaries
- Canciones/Songs: songs, rhymes, and more, with embedded videos
- Chistes/Jokes: both authentic and translated comics and links
- Recetas/Recipes: a growing list of recipes
- Archived Links: links that students have seen in class
- Yearbook: photo slideshows
- Monthly Updates: a look at the curriculum in an easy-to-read, narrative form
- PK-5 Spanish: a look at the curriculum in an easy-to-read, narrative form, with links from previous years of pics, videos, and articles students have seen in class and may want to revisit at home
- AP Spanish: resources
- Endangered Languages: articles and research about endangered languages
- Multiple Languages: articles about hyperpolyglots, the bilingual brain, and the untranslatable
- Tech/Education: articles about technology and education in today’s world
- Linguistics: articles about linguistics
- TEDx: TEDx videos and articles
- Travels: photos of my travels overseas, by country
- About: fun facts about me
- Music: collection of music in languages other than English
- Contact: contact information
Bulletin Board Fun
*”Bulletin Board Fun” slides are credited to James Chapman.
POLYGLOT: HOW I LEARN LANGUAGES– BOOK IN PDF, BY KATÓ LOMB